Keeping client information secure from criminals is a top priority for our firm. To better protect client accounts from cybersecurity threats, we continuously review security procedures to ensure that we are following best practices recommended by the custodians, financial institutions, and industry experts with whom we work.
While we feel we are taking clear and actionable steps in our own firm’s security measures, cyber fraud continues to escalate, is becoming more sophisticated, and is ever changing. These threats take various forms, including email scams (e.g., phishing), where criminals obtain investors’ identity and use that information to commit various forms of wire fraud.
As a fiduciary to our client accounts, we are encouraging our clients to embrace a series of measures to help protect their identity and mitigate potential security risks. The investor protection checklist outlines some best practices for investors across six key areas:
• Manage your devices
• Protect all passwords
• Surf the web safely
• Protect information on social networks
• Protect your email accounts
• Safeguard your financial accounts
We also recommend that investors do the following:
• If you change a current address, notify us so that we can update our records.
• If you suspect that your email account has been compromised, call us immediately.
• If you suspect that your H&R account has been compromised, call us immediately.
© 2017 Howe and Rusling, Inc.